Search

Arabica vs Robusta

Updated: Oct 6, 2021

Hi there, welcome to our very first blog post!



Hold tight, this could get messy! Today we're about to delve into the difference between the Arabica & Robusta bean. "Take to your corners" *Rings Bells*



Coffee is an unstoppable force which binds it's own cultures and flows through our economies and is one of the most traded commodities across the world, and it comes as no surprise that Arabica is the most favoured bean out there amongst consumers and coffee enthusiasts a like, in fact, to sum it up, 70% of the world drinks Arabica coffee, leaving the Robusta bean with only a small 30% of that percentage.


The Coffee Quality Institute states that Robusta is often overlooked because of its traditionally unfavourable cupping qualities, not to mention the continuous onslaught of bad rep it so undeservedly receives, you can purchase some top notch single origin specialty Robusta coffee beans these days, just ask our customers 😉 But with that said, and the cringey sales pitch aside, at least your going to get the biggest buzz, due to the high caffeine content that the Robusta bean has to offer.


But hey, lets not take anything away from the Arabica bean. Popular for its high quality, sweet, smooth and favourable notes, it comes as no surprise that this bean is a fan favourite amongst coffee drinkers and coffee connoisseurs from around the globe. Arabica coffee has roughly twice the sugars and 150% the lipids than Robusta coffee.



Pros & Cons

Like any comparison, each side has its pros and cons, so lets briefly weigh up each side.


ARABICA BEANS


PROS

  • Incredible Diversity.

  • Rich, sweet flavours.

  • High quality.

  • Self Pollinating.

CONS

  • Susceptible to disease and climate change.

  • 1/2 the caffeine content.

  • Generally more expensive.

  • Low Yielding.

  • Requires specific conditions to grow.


ROBUSTA BEANS


PROS

  • Higher caffeine content.

  • Pest and weather resistant.

  • Cheaper.

  • Higher-Yielding.

CONS

  • Lower diversity in flavour.

  • Generally harsher with a more complex bitter taste.




In conclusion

So which is better? Well, the simple answer is that there is no simple answer. Each bean consists of its own unique qualities and characteristics, a high grade Robusta bean will most certainly compete with a low grade Arabica bean in our opinion. We're no strangers to Robusta beans here, in fact, some of our tastiest coffee blends contain different types of Robusta and Arabica to create a well balanced perfect cup. We believe Robusta to be massively over looked, maybe we're just sticking up for the littler of beans? 🤔 Arabica will always hold a firm stance within the world of coffee, it most definitely produces some wonderful delicious cups of coffee. The most important thing to remember is that whilst one person may like arabica, another person may enjoy the latter. Still, maybe those cultivated hybrid coffees will save us all from the burning question of Arabica vs Robusta? Whichever is your preferred cup, enjoy it, and as always, savour every last drop.

16 views0 comments